Saturday, October 10, 2009

Cabbage Soup



I first had cabbage soup at Big Boys and fell in love. So here is my version of this hearty and healthy soup.

1 cup V-8 juice

4 stalks celery cut in 2-inch pieces

2 cans (14 ounces each) diced tomatoes

2 cans (14 ounces each) clear beef broth

2 cups water

1 smoked pork hock (3/4 pound) or ham steak in bite-size pieces

1 onion, about the size of a lemon, diced

1/2 head cabbage, diced and cored and outer leaves discarded

2 carrots finely diced

1 envelope onion soup mix

1 teaspoon dry minced parsley

Generous dash pepper and/or ½ teas. red pepper flakes or more

Salt to taste if desired – I do not desire, there is plenty of salt in everything else.

Put V-8 juice and celery into blender and blend on high speed, about half a minute or until minced. Pour into 6-quart kettle and add each remaining ingredient as listed.

Bring to boil.

Cover and reduce to gentle simmer — simmering two hours or until cabbage is tender.

Serves 6.

Recipe may be cut in half or freezes well. Thaw and reheat within six months. I double the recipe so I can freeze a lot and still have left overs. If I am going to the trouble of making something good and homemade, it is really nice to have some of that when I feel lazy instead of heading to McDonalds or the pizza place.

No comments:

Post a Comment